"There are many little ways to enlarge your child's world. Love of books is the best of all."
We will be using the Trophies series for whole group reading. For small group reading, leveled books will be used based on ability and interest level. Students will be involved in literature circles, meeting with the teacher, and peer reading. Below is a basic list of objectives for the year:
- decode short; long vowel words, digraphs, blends, r-controlled vowels, dipthongs, and multi-syllabic words
- comprehend and expand vocabulary words using synonyms, antonyms, homographs, homophones, context clues, and structural analysis
- build fluency, expression, accuracy, automaticity, and reading rate
- use reading strategies before, during, and after reading
- develop reading comprehension skills, such as indentifying main idea, sequencing text, answering inference questions, and identifying cause and effect